Windows users are constantly complaining about common problem that they cannot print anything. This article would teach you about required troubleshooting steps when Printer Spooler Service is not running.
· Start Print Spooler using Net Start
· Restart Spooler Service
· Temporarily Disable Firewall Program
· Update Printer Driver
· Reinstall Printer
Reset Print Spooler Service:
If print spooler service is not running, try resetting service to automatic using following instructions.
1. Click on Start > Type “Administrative Tools” in Search Box
2. Double-click on Administrative Tools
3. Double-click on Services
4. Select Print Spooler > Right-click > Select Properties
5. Set Print Spooler Service to Automatic
6. Also make sure Procedure Call is running
Start Print Spooler using Net Start:
Net start is quick command to manage services running in background. If Printer Spooler Service is not running, Start it using instructions given below.
1. Open Start
2. Type “Command Prompt” without quotes > Right-click on Command Prompt and Run as Administrator
3. In command prompt Window type net start spooler
4. Close command prompt Window
Restart Print Spooler Service:
You should try restarting print spooler when Printer Spooler Service is not running. To Restart Print Spooler service, follow the instructions given below.
1. Open Start and Type “Administrative tools “ in Search Box
2. Double-click on Administrative Tools > Services
3. Locate Print Spooler
4. Right-click on Print Spooler > Restart
5. Close the Window
Temporarily Disable Firewall Program:
If printer spooler service is not running, it is possible that your Firewall program is blocking printer. Temporarily disable firewall by applying steps given below.
1. Click on Start
2. Type “Windows Firewall” without quotes and press Enter
3. Right-click on Windows Firewall with Advanced Security
4. Select Properties
5. Turn Off Firewall against Firewall State
6. Close Windows Firewall with Advanced Security
Update Printer Driver:
Printer Spooler Service might not be running due to missing printer driver. Update printer driver through steps given below.
1. Click on Start button > Control Panel
2. Double-click on Hardware and Sound > Printer
3. Right-click on Printer > Run as Administrator >Properties
4. Click on Advanced Tab > New Driver
5. Add Printer Driver
If printer spooler service is not running, try reinstalling printer through steps given below.
1. Click on Start > Type “Devices and Printers”
2. Right-click on Devices and Printers > Run As Administrator
3. Now click on Add a Printer
4. Select existing port on Choose a Printer Port Page >Next
5. Select the Manufacturer and Model > Next
6. If your printer is not listed, try through Windows update otherwise use Have Disk
7. Complete the process.